The City of Iowa City is looking for an Animal Services Coordinator
• Oversees the intake, treatment, care, adoption, and euthanasia of animals. Performs euthanasia as required. Monitors and evaluates euthanasia protocols to ensure proper techniques are used. Works directly with veterinarians, ensuring medical protocols are carried out. Determines euthanasia, rehabilitation, release or placement for wild and exotic animals.
• Prepares budget projection figures and program estimates for Animal Services. Monitors revenue and expenses in relation to annual budget. Responsible for all billings and depositing of all monies. Oversees all inventories and ordering of shelter supplies and equipment.
• Develops, reviews, and maintains the policies, procedures, and guidelines for the Animal Care and Adoption Center. Assures compliance with local and state law regulations and standards. Drafts animal control ordinances, amendments, and resolutions as required. Maintains controlled substance records and renews license yearly. Researches, prepares, and presents statistics and data for appropriate wildlife management and response.
• Acts as primary contact or liaison to the city council, other government agencies, contracted entities, media outlets, and the general public with regard to Animal Services. Develops and maintains cooperative work relationships and mutual aid agreements with other community agencies, entities, and organizations. Maintains emergency disaster response plan and equipment for animals in Johnson County. Directs animal response in disasters.
• Coordinates maintenance of facilities, grounds, and vehicles. Plans and implements capital improvement projects, CIPS, and capital outlay activities. Oversees approved facility expansion or enhancement projects.
• Fulfills speaking engagements, prepares media releases, and oversees website and social media content as needed. Provides staff support to the Friends of the Animal Center Foundation to include attendance at monthly meetings. Oversees the Animal Services volunteer, internship and foster care programs. Responds to, investigates, and resolves inquiries and complaints.
Associates degree in animal science or a related field from a DOE accredited educational institution and five years’ experience in animal services or a related field or an equivalent combination of education and experience required. Certified Veterinary Technician or equivalent education and experience required and must have completed euthanasia technician training. Valid driver’s license with satisfactory driving record required. Must pass criminal background check. Must live within 17 miles of the corporate limits of Iowa City, Iowa within one year of appointment.
Bachelor’s degree in animal science, business, management or related field, additional specialized training in related field, and positive reinforcement dog training and behavior experience preferred.